It’s estimated that as many as 25 million Americans have a thyroid problem, and half of them have no idea that they do. Hypothyroidism, or an under-active thyroid, accounts for 90% of all thyroid imbalances.
Here are 10 signs that you could have an underactive thyroid:
- Fatigue after sleeping 8 to 10 hours a night or needing to take a nap daily.
- Weight gain or the inability to lose weight.
- Mood issues such as mood swings, anxiety or depression.
- Hormone imbalances such as PMS, irregular periods, infertility and low sex drive.
- Muscle pain, joint pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, or tendonitis.
- Cold hands and feet, feeling cold when others are not, or having a body temperature consistently below 98.5.
- Dry or cracking skin, brittle nails and excessive hair loss.
- Mind issues such as brain fog, poor concentration or poor memory.
- Neck swelling, snoring or hoarse voice.
How does you thyroid gland work?
Thyroid hormone production is regulated by a feedback loop between the hypothalamus, pituitary gland and the thyroid gland. Hypothalamic thyrotropin-re